Still a jackal, but a culinary one
I woke up today from a waking dream. I forget what it was about except that it involved a woman. I knew I was dreaming but I was just too content and warm (Its deathly cold inside as always) to open my eyes. So I passed a while like that before getting up, getting online for a while, and heading to work.
I got their early and started cleaning and organizing and prepping and all that other stuff. Lucas came in an hour later and was kind of flustered because I'm getting more hours (which I need so I can get my foodstamps so my family can eat) but we came to an agreement after a few minutes and things are cool now.
It turns out they were very cool because after doing a lovely cheese platter and some other things and talking about our Valentines day menu Lucas decided to go have a beer (which would naturally multiply) and thus the kitchen was left to my care. Despite a spat with a customer for whom I dressed up a cake that was to bare an engagement ring (it wasnt worth it, the cheep prick didnt even leave a tip they looked like rednecks anyhow.) And an argument with a waitress about the quality of a ribeye I'd made (that may or may not have been filet mignon)
However whatever I cooked I did a great job. I cooked two bona fide filet mignons and got them absolutely perfect, right down to the grill marks. Then I made a very nice chicken appetizer wherein I rolled chicken tenders in bacon and topped with barbecue sauce for Angie. Her and Jim(her boyfriend) are really cool folks and I think I've mentioned them in here before. In light of the shifts in the weather and all the crap thats going on in hte world right now Angie said she thinks the apocalypse is coming and I said that if it does me her and Jim will have to become trench coat wearing post apocalyptic swordspeople, simply because that's what decent folk do after the apocalypse.
After that I noticed some Tuna steaks in the fridge that Lucas and I had intended to devour the past weekend. I decided to find something neat to do with them and ended up mixing margarita mix, margarita salt, lime juice, rice wine, cilantro and peanut oil to make a neat maranade. I cooked the tuna on the outside leaving warm pink meat inside and brought some out for Lucas to try. He wasnt hungry (I think his diet is only slightly more nourishing than that of most third world orphans) but some of the porch rockers were up for it and they loved it, though Robbie, being Robbie and all, would have no part of sea food.
So now I'm officially a chef, though still little more than a jackal. I dont wish to be more either. The power of running a restaurant twisted and corrupted Charles before my eyes and I don't want that to happen to me so it should be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm posting one of my novels online nad so far getting grand reviews. I need to do a bit of writing on the novels I have under development but that can wait a bit. I'm definately looking forward to hearing back from the publisher I sent to though.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home