Sunday, November 14, 2004

I want to be the catcher in the rye too...

Well Holden finally became the catcher in the rye in the last chapters. However he completely misinterpreted the poem which was originally written in old scottish by Robert Burns. The author knew this though but I dont think most people realize that this classic novel is based off that poem in a way.

I love this book. It just gets so humorous and wonderful near to the end and I love Holden as much as I love Don Quixote or Jim Casey and if you've not met these three grand men I reccomend you do so at your earliest convenience.

Last night I cooked my first meals. I made chicken salad with cajun spices and sweet pepper onion relish that was devoured by people at tea today and requests were put in for more. I also made chicken with crab artichoke and spinnach dip and served it. I cooked the grilled asparagus, heated the potatoes, grilled the chicken til it was cookes through etc. I think Lucas aims to have me work as a chef. I'm not entirely sure I like that

The head chef position is the same thing that corrupted Charles. I remember him gloating about it and wearing his chef uniform every-bloody-where. I remember how he would point to things when you asked wherre they were rather than saying where they were. I remember how he began to literally talk like he owned the place.

Lucas gave me a chef's coat. Two of them actually. I felt like I'd just been handed the ring of Sauron. Noone realizes it and everyone would think I was crazy if I'd given it back to him because it LOOKS like it's just a black coat. But it's a uniform. It makes you different from people. Lets you think you're better than them. Before long you're firing people and pointing to where things go and working forty eight hours a week and telling people to get back to work and buying expensive crap you dont fucking need to fill the gaping void in your life.

I was tempted much as Aragorn was. The thing within my grasp. I had but to put it on one day when I was around town. Someone would have looked at me and knew me to be a chef and looked upon me differently. That would have been the end of me, I tell you! I've nearly gone mad from it already. You cant even begin to comprehend it unless you watched what happened to Charles.

I found myself pointing at something rather than telling a new employee where it was. Never again! I stopped before I pointed to it and smiled to her, telling her nicely where it was. It reminds me of the time I almost bought a chess set but I realized it would be pretentious and I was only doing it to seem like an intellectual and I didn't by the chess set.

NO! I deny power, authority and responsibility. I tossed the coat on my floor when I got home and shall not wear it again. Pride shall have no hold upon me. I should go in the world naked if it were possible (for now I would surely freeze my nuts off) but as that is not possible I shall go clothed as the pauper that I am, as Jarret and nothing more or less.

Lauren gave me some CDs and I'm happy and I'm paying her 20 bucks for them soon. I have a lot of music Ilike now and I'm still writing I've done four or five chapters so far and it's wonderful., The chapters are short but hillarious and everyone loves them. Soon I'll start submitting my book again.

Lisa is being really weird but she always is and I've learned to deal with that. Also havnt been able to talk to Jay about my computer b ut I will soon. Monday I'm calling the foodstamp people to get my foodstamps renewed so dad and Lauren can eat and I also need to buy Michelle and Jared's gift and get some food for myself since there is scarcely ever anything to eat made here nowadays.

Oh and I'm finally getting in contact with Blake again and I can hear things from him rather than just crazy rumours from Charlie. Charlie just makes up the zaniest stories for no apparent reason. Usually its very nice and fun to listen to if youre in the right mood but sometimes he misinterprets what Blake says and it seems like hes giving false information on purpose but I know he wouldnt do that. So yeahg its good to talk directly to blake agfain and he says he'll be home in december. WOOT.

In other news I'm still wearing my black arm band and I'm almost certain Yassir Arafat was poisoned. The littel requiem that I wrtote for him and posted on L&E caused a big debate and I've realized I'm a bit more staunch in my support of the Palestinian cause than I thought. That's a good thing really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home